The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA Statement on Supporting an Abuse-Free Academic Community
The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is committed to establishing and maintaining an environment in which every community member is enabled and encouraged to excel. This will happen only if all of us work in harmony, free of intimidation, exploitation, ridicule, and harassment. We must maintain a productive environment in which no individual is subject to discrimination or abuse. This statement should be read as consistent with and in conjunction with UCLA policies relating to harassment and discrimination.
Specific behaviors that are not acceptable include:
- Sexual harassment, including unwelcome sexual advances or demands, either verbal or physical.
- Using rejection to such advances as a basis for making academic or personnel decisions affecting an individual.
- Discriminating on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other group characteristic.
- Using power to interfere with the activities of another in a manner that is unrelated or counterproductive to the expectations and requirements of his or her position.
- Creating an environment, through abusive behavior, in which the abilities of individuals to function professionally are negatively affected.
No person shall be subject to reprisal for using or participating either in an informal or formal complaint resolution process. It is incumbent on each and every one of us to support the maintenance of an abuse-free environment.
Gender and Power Abuse Committee
Each member of the Gender and Power Abuse Committee of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is trained to discuss your concerns with you informally and confidentially and to give you suggestions on how to resolve your situation and what resources are available to you.
Joyce M. Fried, Chair
Kathleen Brown, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Radiology
Jorge Cherbosque, Ph.D.
Co-Director, Staff and Faculty Counseling Center
Director, Compensation and Labor Relations
Ombudsperson for the Health Sciences
Mark Litwin, M.D
Chair, Department of Urology.
Faculty Advisor, Medical Gay and Lesbian Organization (MedGLO)
Karen Miotto, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Chair, Medical Staff Health Committee
Neil Parker, M.D.
Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Graduate Medical Education
Gregory Payne, Ph.D
Director, ACCESS Program
Professor of Biological Chemistry
Paula Stoessel, Ph.D.
Director, UCLA Mental Health Services for Physicians in Training
Office of Ombuds Services - CHS
Thomas Kosakowski, Associate Ombudsperson
Health Sciences Students and Trainees
Negotiation and mediation