Our AMA chapter has partnered with UCLA’s Student National Medical Association chapter to form Connecting Californians to Care, an outreach initiative whose focus is to raise awareness of new healthcare coverage opportunities for Californians available through Covered California and Medi-Cal.
The Affordable Care Act introduced Covered California (California’s Health Insurance Exchange) and expanded its eligibility criteria for Medi-Cal (California’s Medicaid program) to provide more Californians with access to affordable, high quality healthcare. Approximately 11% of California residents are uninsured and the goal of these initiatives is to improve healthcare access/coverage, achieve better health outcomes, and ultimately reduce healthcare spending.
One of the major challenges these programs face is limited public knowledge of new health insurance coverage options. An October 2014 poll conducted by Gallup found that 65% of uninsured individuals are unfamiliar with health insurance exchanges like Covered California. This indicates that a population segment that could benefit most from Covered California is likely unaware of its existence. Given this context, our goal is to work with communities to provide outreach and education on healthcare coverage opportunities that Covered California and Medi-Cal provide.
1. Provide information to community members on healthcare coverage opportunities available through Covered California and Medi-Cal.
2. Train outreach volunteers as Certified Enrollment Counselors (CECs) who will be authorized to enroll individuals into Covered California.
Calender & Upcoming Events:
To view the full calendar of Covered California Outreach events, please click here.
To help achieve our mission we have partnered with two Los Angeles-based Certified Enrollment Entities. Many of our outreach events will be organized by or in conjunction with these partnering organizations:
- Venice Family Clinic
- Equality California
- West Los Angeles Church of God in Christ
- Saban Family Clinic
- UCLA Mobile Clinic
- UCLA Student Run Homeless Clinic
- USC Connecting Californians to Care
Training Materials and Resources
Please click here to visit a library of Covered California resources, including outreach training materials, podcasts to training lectures, and online tools helpful for determining coverage eligibility.
Please click here for a list of our sponsors.
CCTC in the News
For more information about the Covered California Outreach Initiative please email:
- Jeff Fujimoto, 2014-2015 AMA Co-President, CCTC Directional Lead (email@example.com)
- Brandon Scott, 2014-2015 AMA Co-President, CCTC Directional Lead (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Caleb Wilson, 2013-2014 SNMA Co-President, CCTC Directional Lead (email@example.com)
- Dylan Roby, PhD, Assistant Professor of Health Policy & Management, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Zita Dixon, MSW, Program Manager, MPH Program & Alumni Relations, Department of Health Policy and Management, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health (email@example.com)